Hola!

Hola! A little about me...I'm a Jesus loving, coffee drinking, relationally driven, culture appreciating, justice seeking, Spanish speaking college student currently living and studying in Cordoba (accent on the first o), Argentina. Bienvenidos! Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures, mishaps, successes, and of course, complete failures (because this would be no fun if everything went smoothly).

Thursday, February 26, 2015

The value of encouragement.

Sometimes, you just need a little boost, someone to tell you "you have worth, you are loved, you have value that you don't even see."  Sometimes we all need that extra little (or huge) push to keep going, to feel motivated, and feel like we have a purpose. 

That was me last week and this past weekend.  I felt like a bad friend, bad future social worker, bad student, ect.  I could go on and on and on.  I kept asking myself "Why am I here?"  I felt like I should have given up my place here at Eastern for someone who actually wanted it, because at that point in time I had no desire to be here, to learn, to go to my internship, to try to be a social worker...I did not actually want to do any of that. 

Everything was just going wrong.  My internship was horrible.  I was doing nothing all day long.  Every single homework assignment felt like a marathon...that is if I even did it.  And I was going to my classes in a bad mood and maintaining that mood for the whole class.  I was in a funk, and I can't even give you a good reason as to why.

However, on Sunday things began to look up.  First of all, it was SUNNY.  I so miss the Argentina heat, and how that sun is always shining.  I also went to Philly, hung out with my sister, went for a walk, made a delicious meal and ate it together, and then laughed hysterically watching Impractical Jokers (dad, that was for you).  It was laid-back time away from all the typical stresses of my days that I so needed and appreciated.

Then, I came back to my room Sunday night, looked at my phone, and saw that a friend (who truly does not know me that well), sent me a super long, very heart-felt text explaining that he was praying for me.  The last part of the text, and the part that really struck me the most was, "Prayers of perseverance, endurance, and God's power being made perfect in your weakness are being placed at the Lord's feet on your behalf."

God's power being made perfect in my weakness.

God's flawlessness makes it so that my human shortcomings are nothing that he can't overcome.  In moments of weakness, I just need be reminded of God who is never weak.  His power and love are always perfect, and they are always present.

Needless to say, I was beginning to feel encouraged and loved, but that was just the beginning.  I awoke Monday morning to a text from a friend (who had no idea I was suffering), just reminding me of how much she looks up to me, values our friendship, and other bits of encouragement.  I read the text and just chuckled, but in awe as well.  I always say that I see and feel God's presence through other people, through their words and actions.  I feel like God knows that, and so he uses people to reach me.  He continually blesses me with amazing Christ-loving individuals who encourage me, listen to me, and send me random texts as reminders of their love and care for me. 

Some people hate technology, and normally I am one of those people, but recently, I have found texting to be a fantastic, powerful way to remind someone of their importance in your life and how loved they are.  I would encourage everyone that when they think about someone, just send that person a text, remind them who they are to you and who they are to Christ, and the effects are absolutely beautiful and I don't question for one second that those moments aren't illustrated by our Creator.

To continue the whole positive vibe of the week, on Tuesday I got to my internship, was handed a case to work on, went on a home visit, and made phone calls to clients.  That may sound boring or weird to some of you but in the realm of social work that all equals one thing: CLIENT CONTACT.  AKA: talking with clients.  AKA: the best way to learn, and exactly what I had been lacking.

And then today, I went on a home visit in the morning, which was with a Spanish speaking client (which is normal, all the clients I have met thus far are Spanish-speaking only).  Then I went on another home visit in the afternoon to an Arabic speaking client, which was amazing.  We had an interpreter, and I just sat in awe listening to this language that I did not understand one word of.  How awesome is it that in one day I went on two home visits, none of which were clients that spoke English?! 

For this language nerd, today was my dream day.  Anytime I hear a foreign language, I am reminded by how big this Earth is, and that only a God who is huge and powerful and loving of diversity and differences could create a world in which so many different people speaking so many different languages could live together.

So the two days at my internship were also very encouraging.  I feel like I can do social work.  I can confidently walk into clients home's, meet them exactly where they are (literally), and help them in a way that is empowering and takes into consideration cultural differences.  I can help the Arabic speaking mother, I can help the Spanish speaking children, I can help the single father.  I feel competent, and purposeful, and like I want to encourage these individuals the way I have been encouraged this week.         

1 comment:

  1. No tenía idea de todo esto, ahora me siento la mala amiga. Llegué bastante tarde, pero bueno.

    "No te rindas por favor no cedas,
    aunque el frio queme,
    aunque el miedo muerda,
    aunque el sol se ponga y se calle el viento,
    aun hay fuego en tu alma,
    aun hay vida en tus sueños,
    porque cada dia es un comienzo,
    porque esta es la hora y el mejor momento,
    porque no estas sola,
    porque yo te quiero."

    Te extraño mucho!

    ReplyDelete