Hola!

Hola! A little about me...I'm a Jesus loving, coffee drinking, relationally driven, culture appreciating, justice seeking, Spanish speaking college student currently living and studying in Cordoba (accent on the first o), Argentina. Bienvenidos! Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures, mishaps, successes, and of course, complete failures (because this would be no fun if everything went smoothly).

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Affirmation

Have you been affiremed lately?

Have you affirmed someone lately?

Yesterday I had the dreaded, long awaited meeting with my professor and my supervisor at my internship.  I was so scared.  It was a scheduled, hour long meeting to talk about me and my work on the job and in the classroom.  It was so nerve-racking (I was dripping with sweat all day long in anticipation, it was that bad).

But guess what?  It was fine.  It went really well, actually.  It was very affirming.  I heard my supervisor and my professor say things about me and to me that I normally don't hear them say in meetings or in class, and it was so encouraging.  I left the meeting with a new perspective of my influential and helpful role on the job, as well as in the classroom.  I felt affirmed, encouraged, and capable to continue on with what has proven to be a somewhat challenging semester thus far.

Then, as I was describing this all to my mom, she said "that just goes to show you how important it is to affirm people."  Prior to the meeting I was questioning my role as a social worker (in the works, of course), and as a student.  I didn't know exactly how my professor or my supervisor felt about me and about the work that I was doing, but in an hour long meeting, that was all made clear and my questions were answered and I left more confident.

Affirmation...just straight up telling a person the positive impact they are having in your life or just in general...is so powerful.  I know I question everything.  I am constantly over thinking what I say, do, and how others feel when they are around me.  I am cautious and always worried about making sure I am articulating myself clearly, and acting appropriately.  Affirmation helps ease all of this, and lets me know that my presence is positive and that amidst my flaws and imperfections lies strengths and worth.  I think affirmation has this effect on all people, so I am making it my goal to affirm people more often and let them know of some of the strengths I see within them to help encourage and uplift them.  
       

No comments:

Post a Comment