Hola!

Hola! A little about me...I'm a Jesus loving, coffee drinking, relationally driven, culture appreciating, justice seeking, Spanish speaking college student currently living and studying in Cordoba (accent on the first o), Argentina. Bienvenidos! Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures, mishaps, successes, and of course, complete failures (because this would be no fun if everything went smoothly).

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Beginnings

I found this ecard SO FUNNY!!!  Being raised Catholic wasn't always easy, as every Ash Wednesday, I had to wake up before the sun to get to church, get ashes on my forehead and then with so much guilt wipe it all of on my way to school.  I never felt too bad about it, until I saw another Catholic kid in school proudly displaying his or her ashes on their forehead.  Then I felt like crap, complete crap.

This Ash Wednesday definitely crept up on me.  Yesterday, my agency was closed due to the snow (insert me cheering here), so I was able to spend some time thinking and praying about this Lent season.

This verse really struck me: "We have been sanctified through the offerring of the body of Jesus Christ once for all." -Hebrews 10:10
We are sanctified through Christ, yet we are undeserving. We are not worthy of this kind of grace, love, or offering.  We are faulty, broken, and sinful.  He is perfect, sinless, and whole.  I guess that is why he is our Savior.  We need a flawless Savior to extend us grace, to save us from things of this world, to teach us, to love us, and to offer his only son for us.  that kind of love and grace is only found in the Father, and this season is the perfect time to reflect on that.  

There are a few ways to think about Lent: the beginning, the end, or the beginning of the end.  This Lent especially, I am choosing to think of it as the beginning...the beginning of a new era, the time leading up to resurrection which began it all.  We have laid out for us in the gospels the most perfect love story; one in which our Savior chose to help the least of these, chose to meet people where they were, chose to love on those whom society had determined unlovable and unworthy.  He saw worth in every single person and he loved them as if they were his own kin.  Because they were; we are.  We are all undeservedly his.

When I really think about that, I am so humbled and in awe of that kind of love.  The kind that chose to live among the prostitutes, the poor, the ill, the most sinful, those who were oppressed, marginalized, and discriminated against, the kind that we cannot perfectly reenact, but the kind that we can strive to attain...to see every person as a child of God, as someone that is so loved by our Savior, their Savior, whether they know it or not.  That kind of love is indescribably perfect.     

1 comment: