Hola!

Hola! A little about me...I'm a Jesus loving, coffee drinking, relationally driven, culture appreciating, justice seeking, Spanish speaking college student currently living and studying in Cordoba (accent on the first o), Argentina. Bienvenidos! Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures, mishaps, successes, and of course, complete failures (because this would be no fun if everything went smoothly).

Sunday, July 20, 2014

It's the little things..

So I survived my night at the boliche!  It was actually really fun, even though the whole time in the back of my head I was having anxiety about getting home.  However, it turned out fine (minus my taxi driver getting lost...I swear these things only happen to me).  My driver was super nice and he waited right outside my house until I was in my front door to leave.  I really appreciated that since that was the part that I feared the most.  He also gave me his taxi number so I can call if I ever need a ride.  He is one of the few taxi drivers that actually seem to enjoy life and communicating with people.  It was quite refreshing and I felt safe.


Yesterday, I slept through half the day since I got home so late from the boliche and then hung out with my family for a while.  In the afternoon, I met some friends at a big mall that is actually not too far from my house.  I took el colectivo there by myself, and of course nothing is ever easy with el colectivo.  When I got off at the bus stop, I still had to walk about 5 blocks to get to the mall, but it was daylight, there were lots of people, so I felt okay.  While at the mall, my friends and I got helado (ice cream).  There is no problem in this world that ice cream cannot solve...in my opinion.  It was great, and therapeutic to be with people who are also going through culture shock, also missing their homes, and also beginning to realize how long this whole semester is.  Even though we have all only known each other for a week, it feels like it has been for so much longer, because we just have a common bond.  Ice cream and people who get me...what more could I ask for after a super long week?


Today, I slept in again and then sat and had coffee, criollos, and dulce de luche with mi abuela.  Every single morning we eat bread, but the type of bread and the toppings for it can completely make or break the breakfast.  Therefore, this morning when I awoke to see criollos and dulce de leche on the table waiting for me, I knew it was going to be a good day.  If you have never had a criollo slightly toasted with dulce de leche, do it.  Now.  I am so serious.  You won't regret it.


After I ate, mi abuela asked if I wanted to go to the verdulia (vegetable shop) with her.  I of course said yes.  I love our little walks around the neighborhood to different stores.  I love our conversations.  I love that it makes me feel safe here.  I love that it makes me feel at home here.


Oh, and I also love all the fresh vegetables you can buy here right around the corner from your house.  So cool, and straight from the farm.


Now here is the big news...I WENT FOR A RUN TODAY.  Now you are probably wondering why this is big news.  For starters, I haven't ran since I've been here, and that is a long time to go without running for me (yet I must say that just by living in Cordoba, you walk...A LOT).  However, the big thing about this is that I went outside my house by myself, ran around the neighborhood by myself, came back by myself, opened the gate by myself, and tried to enjoy every second of it. Now I didn't go far, because I would have gotten lost, but it was so good for me to force myself to do something like that.  I cannot hibernate here.  I have to live, and living for me means going on runs and enjoying them.


After my run, I ate lunch with mi abuela (which was amazing, I really need to start learning how to make this stuff).  It was lots of fresh veggies (that we bought that morning), steak, and potatoes all in one pot with eggs on top.  It was fabulous.  Then, we went to the apartment of the sister of mi abuela.  The three of us sat and talked forever.  Mi abuela's sister wants to set me up with her nephew (I'll think about it) and she really wants me to be a part of the family- attend every gathering, get to know everyone, and feel at home here.  I really appreciated the conversation with her, and she continually complemented me on my Spanish.  It was an afternoon full of encouragement and reinforcement that I am here, I should be here, and I am growing while being here.


And another thing- my sister, Meghan is blogging at http://imhomeschooling.blogspot.com.ar/ and I just read her post from yesterday and was so encouraged by her faith.  She has been continually making discoveries and taking huge strides in her faith, and I am constantly inspired and encouraged by her.  She is someone who truly sees God at work in the little things, like seashells (I will never forget that, Meghan!), and her faith just really inspired me to see the little things that are happening here and equate them to the big things God is capable of.  So I decided to think about all of the little things that have added up to making me feel affirmed.  As I sat to reflect, it occurred to me what my devotional said on the date that I left for Argentina- "He (God) bought you, owns you, and protects you.  God paid too high a price to leave you unguarded."  If that is not a little (big) thing then I don't know what is.  I am sure that all of these little signs were carefully crafted by my creator to lift my spirits and remind me of His presence, power, and ability to do some very big things.        

13 comments:

  1. Powerful stuff Kerri! I love reading your blog. So what is it exactly that I'm supposed to eat slightly toasted with what on top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's called a criollo. I think that we have them in the US. They are just little rolls (they kind of look like biscuits but they taste way different) and they are sweet and wonderful. And thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome Kerri! I love what you are learning! Please learn to cook all of those wonderful things so you can make them for Kev, Larry, Allison and me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Haha I will work on that! Mi abuela and her sister want to have cooking days with me where I teach them how to make foods from the US and they teach me how to make foods from here. I'm sure I'll learn a lot!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! And a boliche is a bar/club/restaurant. They are super popular for the young crowd here. They are much cleaner than clubs in the US (at least that's what I hear).

      Delete
  4. Please learn how to make all of the wonderful food so you can come home and cook for Kevin, Allison, Larry and me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kerri, I just caught up on your blog, I hadn't read it since the World Cup! I am so sorry to hear about your mugging! I am glad you are still so optimistic even though you went through such an ordeal!!! It's taken me this long to comment- I am not at all computer savvy and had to ask one of the young in's to help me (Brendan). Brendan also said that he really likes the song "Oceans" by Hillsong United! I'm glad you can still find God in the midst of all that! I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts.

    -Aunt Liz Graney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Aunt Liz!!! And I'm glad you figured out how to do this! ;) And yes, Oceans is the best song ever!!!! Miss you all!

      Delete
  6. Leer tu experiencia y tus descripciones me hace extranar mi Colombia... por lo que cuentas es tan similar a Bogota!

    ReplyDelete