Hola!

Hola! A little about me...I'm a Jesus loving, coffee drinking, relationally driven, culture appreciating, justice seeking, Spanish speaking college student currently living and studying in Cordoba (accent on the first o), Argentina. Bienvenidos! Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures, mishaps, successes, and of course, complete failures (because this would be no fun if everything went smoothly).

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Loss for words and Jujuy (finally!)

Sometimes finding time to reflect is hard.  Sometimes finding the words to use is even harder.  I feel like there are endless amounts of things that I could say...like the fact that it is October already scares me, like I think this experience has changed me more than I even realize, like I will forever be a different person, like I am in love with this culture and these people, like I feel that I have a life here now that I don't want to leave but at the same time I miss everyone at home, like maybe all of these feelings are confusing me and maybe I'm not certain of anything anymore except for the fact that time. can. slow. down. now...please.

It's been such a long time since I've updated my blog and maybe it's because I've been so busy (I really have been, and every night I sit down to write, but I just am too tired), or maybe it's because I've been intentionally neglecting it because I don't have the right words to say that seem like they would make any sense. But maybe that's what this is about.  Maybe this experience is supposed to be confusing, and change you, and this blog is supposed to be my brutally honest, in the moment thoughts (or at least that's what I've made it).  So here's to trying to explain my feelings right now in this every moment.

It is October.  OCTOBER.  I have officially been here almost three months.  Part of me feels like so much has happened, I have changed so much, my Spanish has improved so much, and then part of me feels like there's just not enough time left to do everything that I still want to do.  I keep feeling like this place can't feel more like home, and then every day it does.  While I am drinking tea with my abuela I notice that the conversation comes easier, lasts longer, and is full of more laughter.  When I walk to school I notice that cat calls from men don't scare me, and that I'm hardly shaken by a motorcycle that drives past me (I used to cringe every single time since I was robbed).  When I get together with my friends they comment on how my Spanish has improved and we all rejoice in the fact that they no longer have to stop and explain things to me.  When I am eating dinner with my family I notice that we talk for up to three hours after we are done eating about politics or cute boys, and everything in between.  And the sweetest of them all, when my abuela is cooking, I notice that she tries to subtly place the cutting board and the vegetables in front of me and waits until I ask if I should cut them to say anything.  I feel relaxed, I feel loved, and I feel like I am in love with everything here.

That being said, I do miss home.  I miss my family.  I miss my friends.  I miss Eastern (in fact, I think la universidad here is my least favorite part of this experience).  I miss everything.  I know that coming home and seeing everyone will feel so wonderful, but at the same time my heart will be broken having left Argentina.  I have never felt so confused, like 100% of me wants to be in two places at once.  I guess this comes with the experience.  Who knows.  All I do know, all I am sure of, is that I am so thankful for everyone here in Argentina and in the US that are supporting me and loving me through this experience, because I know that this experience is shaping me and forming me in ways that I can't describe.  When/if I find those words, I'll let you know.    

   
So, enough with the crazy thoughts.  Last week we had a week off from classes, so myself and three other students traveled to northern Argentina for the week. I was able to see so many beautiful sights, meet new people, experience new cultures, and eat new foods.  It was a week full of long bus rides, amongst tours, long walks through mountains, shopping, and eating empanadas and alfajores.  It was absolutely amazing, and I feel like I have seen/experienced a whole different side of Argentina.

The three provincias that we traveled to are in north Argentina.  First, we went to Jujuy, second Salta, and third Tucuman.

To avoid one superrrrrrr long post, I'm going to do this is three parts, one for each provincia.  So I will start with Jujuy!

Day 1: On Sunday, we all woke up super early, and met in el centro.  From there, we walked to the terminal and boarded the bus for a 12 hour bus ride. I know, it was rough.  It doesn't look like it would be that far on the map, but it is.  Plus, you must take into account that the fastest these buses go would be our equivalent of about 50mph.  Slow and steady and in no rush.  That just defines Argentina.  Anyways, we arrived in Jujuy at about 11pm and took a taxi to our hostel.  We pretty much just crashed for the night.

Day2: We woke up to beautiful weather, so we headed out to Purmamarca (in the very north part of Jujuy) to see la montana de siete colores (the mountain of seven colors).  I really had no idea what to expect, but this definitely was quite possibly the coolest thing I have ever seen.  We hopped on a bus and started driving up, up, up into the mountains.  Here are some pictures I took on our way up.




You think these are pretty?  This is nothing compared to what we saw next.  We soon arrived at the town called Purmamarca y la montana de siete colores.  The town was absolutely beautiful and kind of hidden within the mountains.  We walked to a place to take pictures, and then did a long walk through the mountains.  It was so hot out, and we were so high up that it was acutally hard to breath here, but it was worth every difficult breath. These are some of the pictures I took:









We took a break for lunch and had empanadas, of course.  They were wonderful, of course.







This is a little hotel that is right in the mountains and looks like it's made out of clay.  It was so cool!





















 This is a cemetery that was near the top of the mountain.
 
This might be my favorite picture.  The cross at the top of the mountain. A reminder of how powerful our God is...He can make mountains change colors.

After spending lots of time at the mountain, we went back to our hostel, and made dinner...a north American breakfast!!!!  Well, kind of.  We made scrambled eggs and french toast, but we used dulce de leche instead of syrup ;)  Surprisingly, I was able to take a few pictures before digging in.

We bought all of these fresh fruits, eggs, milk, bread, and dulce de leche for practically nothing.



It doesn't look that pretty, but I promise you that french toast topped with fresh strawberries and bananas all smothered in dulce de leche is absolutely delicious.  I'm already thinking about how much dulce del leche I can fit in my suitcase to bring back with me.  Maybe I will share.

Day 3:  We woke up and walked around the city of Jujuy for bit, before we had to head to the terminal to catch our bus to Salta.  Here are some pictures of a really pretty church we visited and the main plaza:



















All of that was simply the first part of our trip.  In the next few days, I will get parts two and three posted!



 

3 comments:

  1. What beautiful pictures you took Kerri! You have become quite the adventure seeker-- good for you, making the most of your time there in that beautiful country! We are so happy for you that your experience there has been so positive and you are enjoying it to the fullest. You should be so proud of yourself. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Citric orange juice? And yes, I want some sweet milk sauce or whatever you talk about all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post!! Def one of my faves! Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete