Hola!

Hola! A little about me...I'm a Jesus loving, coffee drinking, relationally driven, culture appreciating, justice seeking, Spanish speaking college student currently living and studying in Cordoba (accent on the first o), Argentina. Bienvenidos! Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures, mishaps, successes, and of course, complete failures (because this would be no fun if everything went smoothly).

Friday, August 8, 2014

It's just funny now

Yesterday was the longest day of my life.  By far.  The words I would use to describe it are horrible, painful, embarrassing, funny, and over.  Thank goodness it is over.  Yesterday was the day of that super hard test, that I explained in a previous post.  At 9:00am the testing began.  The first part was the written part and it was three hours long.  After that was over, we were all given our times for the oral exam.  I, of course was given one of the latest times, 5:30.  I had to sweat it out all day.

The written part was easier than I expected, but I also have no idea how hard they will grade it.  The oral part started out well, and just went downhill from there.  For the oral exam, a professor walked out of a classroom and called my name.  I entered the room and saw the other professor sitting there.  For this exam, one professor talks to you, and the other one just takes notes on everything you say.  They also record you.  No pressure, I know.  The first thing I had to do was just tell them about myself, why I am here, why I study Spanish, ect.  That was all easy.  Then they handed me two pictures of advertisements and I had to read both, and then pick one and talk about it.  I picked the one that I understood the best and just began butchering Spanish.  I had just told them how I've been studying Spanish for 8 years, and then I just proceeded to be unable to conjugate any verbs, or use the right ones, and I even responded to the professor using the informal form vos, which you are only supposed to use for friends, or people of your age.  They probably thought I was lying about the studying for 8 years part.  But oh well, I know that I got my point across and I am definitely my own toughest critic.  I did my best under the extreme pressure, and I have accepted that I may or may not get the score I need to.

However, I am not even sure I need a certain score anymore, because the class that I have been planning on taking at the University for the past year at least, I CAN NOT TAKE.  Yes, the class that I NEED to take in order to graduate on time, I can't take.  So here's why- I was told that the class was beginning yesterday, and that even though I was not officially registered for it (that is a whole other story), I could still attend the class as if I was, so as to not miss any important information.  So I got there a bit early, and was standing outside the classroom with a bunch of other students.  I soon noticed that they all seemed to be studying some notes.  Great, I thought.  We had homework for the first day, and I didn't even know about it.  False.  It was not homework. The students were preparing to take their midterm. 

After asking a student, and then talking to the super nice professor, I learned that this class is a year long class, and the students are about to begin their second semester.  Yesterday was their midterm, and then they continue with the second half from there.  The professor said he could not let me in the class for the second half just because he would not be able to give me an actual grade for only coming to the second part of it.  I walked away from that conversation laughing and crying at the same time.  Laughing because this was just the cherry on top of a super crappy day, and crying because I was laughing so hard.  I just couldn't believe it.  What I have been so worried about, what I've been so excited about, is not even going to happen.

What I am super mad about though, is how did NO ONE know this?  No one in the program thought to advise myself, or Eastern of the fact that this class was not actually a possibility.  I was given the syllabus for this class months before leaving to come here, I was told it would be hard, but doable.  I was told what books to read, what to expect from the professor, and what an actual class at the university would be like.  I just wasn't told that the class is a year long class, and that I wouldn't be able to take it.  How did no one know that?  This is not Eastern's fault, and not the professor of the class' fault (in fact after a super long day of trying to get registered for this class, he is the ONLY person that showed concern and gave me some answers), there was just a lack of communication or a lack of research done somewhere. 

However, the program director told me not to worry, that she would try to find someone who can personally tutor me through a Spanish Lit. course and that I would do it like an independent study.  If this works, at least I will get the credits, but this will not be the same as being in a class, with a professor who knows so much, and other students from Argentina. I was really excited to have that experience, and I am really frustrated that now I will not. 

After that interesting day yesterday, I went out with some friends last night and we had so much fun!  After a super long week it was fun to be done with everything, get dressed up, and go out and festejarse un poquito.

Now, I have no class or anything for over a week, until next Monday.  This week I really want to go to some of the neighboring cities of Cordoba and explore them a bit.  I think I am going to go hiking, and also my speaking partner wants to have a cooking day with me.  I think her and I are the same person.  Last night she said she thinks we were separated at birth.  It might be true; I got super lucky to be paired with her.

Oh, and I also found on my computer some pictures of mi casa that I took before my phone was stolen, so I thought I would show you all where I live!  Forewarning:  I am NOT a photographer, and these pictures are horrible.

These are pictures of what I see when I look out the huge window in my room....not much.


These are pictures of my bedroom.  It is cute, and small, and feeling more like home every day.

This is my bed after I made it, mi abuela came in and re-made it like she still does every day.





So that's all I got.  Sorry.  As soon as I get my phone, I will take pictures of the whole house. 
Oh and a shout-out to this girl for being 19 now.  Miss and love you Alexis!


 

7 comments:

  1. You are easily the coolest American in Argentina..,at least u got that going for u...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...that's about it right now though hahaah

      Delete
  2. I am most interested in knowing what you got dressed up for and went out to do????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feste jarsa un poquito means what exactly?? I hope you know your parents read these blogs! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha festejarse un poquito means to celebrate a little!!! And I have nothing to hide!

      Delete
  4. I knew what that meant! And trust me Kerri, you had no twin at birth. There was not enough room for just you!

    ReplyDelete